AIR FORCE ASSOCIATION
PAUL REVERE CHAPTER
2014 Outstanding Extra Large Chapter
23 November 2014
Dear AFA Member,
The Paul Revere Chapter Council met this past Thursday and I wanted to update our members on the many activities we have going. Please join us in these activities.
- Our annual AFA Holiday Party is set to go on Friday 5 December and we would like to have as many members as possible join us. It is a major fundraiser for the gifts for homeless veterans at the Lowell Veterans Community Center and the AFA Wounded Airmen Program. I ask for your support. All of the senior leadership on Hanscom AFB and the MA Adjutant General will attend. Please join us. You should have received an invitation, and details are at this web location: http://www.paulrevereafa.org/afa-holiday-gala-2/
- We have a new Chapter Secretary, Emily Shay, and AFA Emerging Leader takes the place of AJ Jarnagin. We want to thank AJ for his selfless hours putting together all our meetings and many reports.
- We are looking to expand the chapter’s role in the Wounded Airmen Program. It is the only program dedicated to wounded airmen. Our chapter is working with the 66 MDS to let qualified Airmen know they can self-identify for this important program.
- Our EXCOM will be busy developing our Annual Activity and Financial Plan. If you have any inputs, please let us know. We will be reviewing the plan at our Chapter Council Meeting on 18 December. We are looking to increase our activity and footprint, so if you have any special interest, please let me know.
- The chapter is looking at starting an essay contest to support our AFLCMC mission. It is similar to the Gen Bernard A. Schriever Memorial Essay Contest.
- We are pursuing our dream of a national interest symposium here on Hanscom AFB to discuss the ISR mission, National Guard involvement and improving the too slow acquisition process. Look for more to come shortly and expect some high level visitors around April or May.
- We need to have a chapter meeting to update our bylaws. Look for a chapter meeting in January or February. Details to follow.
- On 17 December we have our holiday party for the Veterans at the Lowell Veterans Community Care Center. Contact Mike Therrien (781-225-4113) if you want to volunteer.
I plan to reach out directly to our chapter members at least once a month. We need your help to continue the great Paul Revere traditions.
Please reach out to me if you have any questions.
Visit the Holiday Gala page for more information! . .
The clothing drive in support of the New England Center for Homeless Veterans is going on from 7 March to 7 April 2014. Items that are needed include all men and women’s clothes, but primarily women’s clothes. Also needed are personal hygiene items (travel size), luggage and backpacks.
Located in Boston is the New England Shelter for Homeless Veterans (NECHV), a long-time institution that provides a wealth of good to many homeless veterans who’ve taken up residence on the street of Boston and eventually sought shelter at 17 Court Street as they pull their lives together, help other veterans, improve themselves, seek jobs and in many cases move out on their own again when employment is found.
The NECHV suffered a catastrophic failure of their sewer system on 25 January when it burst at the lowest level and it affected storage room where they kept the majority of the Thrift Store items of new clothing donations such as men’s and women’s suits on racks, and suitcases and backpacks typically used by the veterans when they move out into housing. Everything in the entire room was lost due to the biohazard and SERVPRO was called in to remediate things. The initial bill from SERVPRO is $22,000. They lost all their donations collected over the holidays, and all their women’s clothes and their Christmas decorations.
Bins are located at the following Buildings (Hanscom AFB):
1305 (Brown Building); 1548 (Fitness Center); 1603 (Base Chapel); 1614; 1630; 1725 (Security Forces); 1900 (Clinic); BX; Before and After School Center
As always, feel free to contact us at email@example.com or conveniently provide a donation by selecting the donate button:
AFA’s Paul Revere Chapter has some great events coming up. Get ready to save the date for things like our:
April 17 Community Partner Appreciation Social
May 21 CSAF Dinner
May 22 CSAF Golf Tournament
July 17 Veterans BBQ
September 13-14 AFA National Convention
September 28 Vettes to Vets
November 8 AFA Fun Run
December 5 Chapter Holiday Party
December 15 Annual reports due to State President
December 17 Chapter Veterans Holiday Party Lowell
More details to follow soon!
Enjoy the most recent chapter newsletter and Happy New Year!!!!
The annual Paul Revere Chapter “Holiday Gala” is scheduled for 6 December. This event is always a great event and social with industry and leaders from Hanscom Air Force Base.
The event will be at the Doubletree Hilton Hotel, Bedford, Massachusetts. Cocktails at 6:30PM, with dinner at 7:30PM.
Go to the events tab on this site and see the sponsorship opportunities, cost of tickets and tables.
For further information or to RSVP, please email Marlene Jarvis at MJarvis@Raytheon.com or call 781-862-6800. .
Over 450 runners and walkers came out to participate in this year’s Fun Run! The event was a great success, with our host the Bedford, MA VA Hospital!
One day to the Fun Run!! Registration is still open. We ask all runners and participants to be in place by 8:30AM, with the opening ceremony starting at 845AM.
The Bedford VA is a great host and a great teammate for this event. We all look forward to a great day!!